Sunday, October 13, 2013

One Month Post Op

When I woke up this morning I realized that today marks one month since my surgery. I have to say that I have healed fairly quickly. I'm back to all my normal activities and I should start my new job next week, well at least the training for it. I don't feel like I'm still recovering from surgery anymore and my pain is very minimal. There are still some internal things like hormone imbalances that I'm dealing with but that's to be expected.

It's very strange that my body can be put through so many changes and it's trying very hard to adapt. I had my ovary and fallopian tube completely removed but I also have an IUD for birth control. With an IUD you are not supposed to have monthly cycles but because my roommate is female, my body decides that it's a competition and that it needs to keep up. Yet being minus one ovary and having and IUD, it's at a disadvantage. Hence where the hormone imbalance is coming from. I don't ovulate anymore but yet I have all the symptoms of a monthly cycle. Food cravings, fatigue, mood swings and even cramps. It's definitely not something that I look forward to every month by far, but I guess it could be worse. Eventually my hormone levels will right themselves and my symptoms should go back to being very low or non existent as they were the previous time I had the IUD birth control. This is the only way that I can see that I am still "healing".

My weight is still a bone of contention with me. When I use My Fitness Pal to track my food intake at the end of the day I always get the "In 5 weeks you should weight this much" prompt and I hate it. If that app was anywhere near right I would already be in the 160's weight wise. I'm simply not getting enough of the right kind of exercise to burn the existing fat I have and I must be building muscle still because I'm not losing a darn thing. Despite walking 3 miles every day this week and eating on my schedule and not overdoing it (except for yesterday at the sushi buffet). I think it's time to increase the type of cardio I do in order to see the slimming results I want to see. Time to bust out my Pink Method workout videos again.

The first time that I did the Pink Method program I was still eating gluten, I was still consuming dairy and I was over 200lbs. The workouts were killer and I couldn't even keep up with the video. It was making my feet and back hurt like hell and eventually after about a month of doing it I stopped all together. I had seen results and was losing inches and a few pounds. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do it before. I made excuses and I hated working out back then. I would "try" but give up easily. I set myself up to fail that time.

Now I am 179 pounds, I don't eat gluten, I don't consume dairy and I can walk 3 miles daily with ease. I think I could definitely keep up with those videos now and probably get quite a good workout from them. I know that in order to achieve my results there has to be exercise in my life at least 5 days a week structured and some light stuff on the weekends. It has become a way of life for me and it's no longer something that I'm "trying" to do, it's something that I do, daily. My mind wants to be healthy and strong. I want to slim down more and not have this excess skin around. I need to firm up those areas that are problem areas to see if this is truly excess skin or just me having fatty tissue left in those areas. So it's time to put a plan of action into place and stick to it.

Going back to work might pose some interesting kinks in my plans. I love to work out first thing in the morning before I start my day. However with having to get my son off to school and potentially having to go to work in the AM, I might have to get up earlier to get in my workout video and go walking in the evenings possibly if I have time after dinner. With the seasons changing and it getting into the colder times, it's getting dark sooner. I don't want to be out at a park walking through the woods in the dark, I've seen that horror movie and I'm not sure I could out run a killer chasing me with a chainsaw right now, ha ha! I may have to face the fact that my workouts will need to be indoors and I'll just have to accept that. As long as I continue to make an effort to go in the right direction then all should continue to go well for me. I'm looking forward to seeing the number on that scale move soon because it hasn't moved in months at this point. Thankful that I'm not gaining weight, but irritated that I'm not losing either.

All in all, it's time to get real. It's time to step it up. I'm healed, I'm not having any issues post op and I need to get on track. I refuse to let seasonal depression win this year because I'm going into the cold season with a positive attitude, a new job, clean eating and a plan. I know what I am capable of physically and I know what I can accomplish if I actually put a little effort into it. Why wait for New Year's to make changes in my life? I think I'll get a jump start on the new year and start early so while everyone else is fretting over eating too many Christmas cookies, I'll be sporting my cute little slimming outfits and my chocolate flavored chai tea (non dairy of course)!

No comments: