Tuesday, October 15, 2013

C25K

I decided that I wanted to incorporate jogging back into my exercise routine, so yesterday I tried jogging while I was out doing my walk and I wasn't very successful. I made it 1/2 mile before I got too tired to keep going, so I walked the rest of my workout. My best friend suggested that I download a C25K app and follow the program. I figured it couldn't hurt but I was scared that I may not be in shape enough to follow the program for it. I downloaded the app last night and took a peek at what the program would entail and I was really surprised. It starts off gentle, easing you into running and builds up your stamina every week. It's a 9 week routine and at the end I should be able to run for 30 minutes straight with no walk breaks. At this point that is hard to imagine, but if I stick with this then it will happen.

Here is what the breakdown of the routine consists of:

Week 1:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Alternate 60 seconds of jogging then 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week 2:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Alternate 90 seconds of jogging then 2 minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week 3:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Do two repetitions each of 90 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking then jog 3 minutes and walk 3 minutes.

Week 4:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 minutes, jog 3 minutes walk 90 seconds jog 5 minutes

Week 5:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes.

Week 6:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 8 minutes, walk 3 minutes, jog 5 minutes.

Week 7:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog for 25 minutes.

Week 8:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog for 28 minutes

Week 9:
Brisk 5 minute warm up walk. Jog for 30 minutes.

Each of these routines is done 3 days a week only. So I have chosen to do them on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Since I didn't do this yesterday I went ahead and started my week 1 day 1 today so I could get on track to do the other two days this week on Wednesday and Friday.

The intensity of this routine picks up quickly. I'm hoping that my stamina keeps up and that I can complete this because the idea of being able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping sounds amazing to me. Right now when I jog I feel very bottom heavy. I feel like my legs have a lot of weight in them and that's why I am moving so slowly. I'm sure that's not the case and it's more likely the fact that I haven't jogged since July I think. I have to build slowly and I'm hoping this app allows me to do that and maybe I might even lose a pound or two.

So this is what my exercise regiment is going to consist of for my outdoor portion. I'm also hoping to add in my workout DVD soon so I can get in some alternate cardio for my upper body. I'm not going to look very good if my lower body is tone and nice and my upper body looks like jello. I want the total package!

**the app I am using for my android phone is called Simple C25K, it was a free app that will take me through the entire 9 week course with no ads and no purchase necessary**

No comments: