Saturday, July 7, 2012

I hate my trainer, sorta...

As I was looking at my paperwork for my strength training, I realized that I only had one exercise to work my biceps and one exercise to work my triceps. I was not happy with having those few options so I decided to take advantage of the free training sessions at my gym and ask my trainer for help.


I should have known what I was asking.


My trainer Jeff is really amazing. He is very knowledgeable and is more than willing to answer my questions without judging me or rolling his eyes at me. He will push me to my very limits because he knows that I am capable of doing what he asks of me, I may not want to, but I'm capable. When I signed up for the class to work my arms I knew that he was going to make me do the hard stuff despite my testimony that my arms were too weak for that much work. He did and now I hate him. (Not really but I'm venting).


I got to the gym an hour before the class, so I decided to use that opportunity to do my cardio so I would have it out of my way. I pushed myself and was a little tired by the time we got around to class time but I knew that I needed to do this for myself so I could add more exercises to my routine and be able to properly work those stubborn arm muscles that refuse to thin down on their own. He showed me some basic things to do to work my biceps, like dumbbell curls (we used 10lb weights). We also did curls with a resistance band that was the strongest resistance they had. (Why does he think I'm superwoman or something?) He also showed me how to use the bands to do behind the head tricep extensions. The tricep workout will blast that stupid waddle that I have under my arms that is no longer welcome here and has been given it's eviction notice. He taught me how to do hammer curls with the dumbbells which will work biceps as well. Then he pulled out the big gun and I just knew I was in trouble....


It's called an EZ bar. Whoever named this thing obviously never actually used it because it is not easy at all. The lightest EZ bar that they make is 20lbs. Jeff demonstrates to me how to do a behind the head tricep extension with the EZ bar and made it look like it weighed nothing. He handed it to me and I gave him that look. The look of, "You've got to be kidding me right?" He just laughed at me and told me that I could do it. We got the bar behind my head, then I had to lift it straight up. Let's just say I'm so glad no one was video taping this because I had to have looked ridiculous. For the first few reps he had to hold my elbows to keep them from turning out when I tried to lift the bar. He then decided it would be a good idea to let go and the bar thumped me on top of my head. (20lbs of weight on your head hurts). I shook it off and he jumped back into spotting me again so I could lift the weight. We worked in increments. We did 15 reps, 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps then 2 reps. Afterwards Jeff said I may want to wait until I have a little more tricep strength until I try that one on my own, so I don't bonk myself in the head with the bar again. My elbows cannot support the weight without turning out and all that does is put unnecessary stress on my shoulders instead of working my triceps. I agreed, but put it on my routine list anyway for later use. 


Today my biceps are killing me. It even hurts to lift my purse! They are sore and I can tell that it was because we worked them so much on Thursday that new muscle is forming and they are healing. Luckily I don't have to work them again until my workout on Wednesday, that should give me plenty of time to heal up so I don't injure them. It's so weird that only my biceps are hurting and my triceps are fine. The hardest part of that workout in class was the EZ bar routine for my triceps. I guess fat can't hurt and my triceps are still mostly fat? Don't ask me I just find it odd. 


I didn't make it to the gym today for my 6th day of cardio. I did grocery shopping instead and now am doing laundry. I've still burnt calories today just not near as many as I would have if I went to the gym this morning. I shall return to the gym on Monday and begin a new week of blasting away that stubborn fat that is slowly losing it's battle on my body. I won't be sad to see it go and I'm happy that I will soon have to buy new clothes including bras and underwear. 


"You're the best....around....nothing's gonna ever keep you down...." 

No comments: