Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Joys of Hormones and Mood Swings...

The past couple of days have been really difficult for me. Excessive moodiness and what seems to be a hormone flux have caused my moods to be totally in the toilet. Despite my crummy demeanor I have made it to the gym both days and pushed myself in order to get my strength training and cardio in. I have even gone walking after my workouts in order to get in more calorie burn and to be in nature which always seems to make me feel better. I swear I had to have been a tree hugging hippie in a past life because when things seems horrible for me, I go walking in the woods and take a few deep breaths and all is right in the world again. Something about the smell of nature and the sounds and sights of being all alone on a trail. I can take my time and notice things around me and actually enjoy being outside. It always helps me to recenter myself and to remember that the choices I've made to be healthy are working and that I'm doing this for me and no one else. 


I am down to 193lbs and holding. I haven't noticed any further weight loss in the past 2-3 days. This is fine, since I'm more than likely building up muscle from my strength training sessions. I'm under 195 which is plenty for me to be happy about right at this moment. Using my Loseit app and calorie counting has become habit for me now. I have noticed that in the past couple of days I have been exercising a ton and eating under a 1000 calories a day. I know that this is not good for long term weight loss, but I just haven't been hungry. Not sure if it's my moods or just that I'm legitimately not hungry so I haven't been eating heavy meals like I usually do. I also haven't been snacking at all. I'm trying to make sure I drink enough without over hydrating (which I did last week and didn't feel very good afterwards). I just need to keep in mind that some of the foods I eat also contain water, I'm not just getting fluids from my sipping cup. Plus I usually drink 1-2 8oz glasses of dark chocolate almond milk a day. This is my go to indulgence since I have chosen not to eat sweets or desserts much these days. 


Today at the gym is the day I hate. My strength training will focus on my biceps and triceps. I understand now why my upper body never had a fair chance in all the years that I was in decent shape. I hate working out those arms! It's painful and awkward for me. However, In order to build the fat burning muscle that I need to continue to lose weight I need to build muscle evenly all over, not just in my legs (which I love to work out). Sigh, so I will continue to do these workouts in order to created a healthier me, but I will probably whine about it at least once (twice on a bad day).


I have updated my music on my iPod and have some rockin tunes to listen to now when I work out, which will help. I'm hoping that this funk I'm in passes soon so I can get back to feeling good about myself and my accomplishments. Maybe it's the recent stormy weather here bringing out my claws, who knows. Chin up and get moving, this weight isn't going to leave on it's own and it's overstayed it's lease option for long enough. 

No comments: